Wednesday, March 12, 2008

2 Steps Forward...

...3 steps backward.

I recently blogged about my strong desire and plan to change the game in training. Just this week we experienced the pain of not taking time to do a training needs analysis when the initial results of our level 3 evaluations started rolling in.

Setup: I'm training for a large corporation who, in January, decided to launch a new sales team but refused my request to perform a Training Needs Analysis opting instead for "the same new hire training you've given us before."

Action: I trained the new reps -- whose role is definitely different than the typical newly hired sales reps I normally train -- using the existing new hire training material.

Result: Poor performance and the blame game has begun. I don't want to play that game, though! I want to CHANGE the game...

Response: The leadership team has now agreed to let me conduct the Training Needs Analysis so we can develop targeted training for this new sales role.

Expected Outcome: Success!

Lessons learned: I need to push MUCH harder if I want to actually change the game. I will. Please join me -- what are your stories? What are your unfreezing strategies?

2 comments:

Annie said...

I really think that you will be able to make some changes now that they have realized that the "The way it has always been done" mentality did not work. This type of mentality stops a lot of people from getting quality training for their personell. It is with failure that change will be able to occur. This is a rapidly changing global market and companies are going to have to realize that they have to advance or be left behind. Especially with the economy the way it is right now. Wishing you good luck with setting new standards for their training!

Alan Rains said...

A lesson learned.

They must have liked your previous training and just wanted to get quick results.

Analysis will keep the blame away, they won't have a scapegoat that way!
Alan