Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Change the Game in Corporate Training

I want to change the game in training.

Over the past decade I have trained literally thousands of different people (approaching 10,000) and what I consistently hear shocks me. To the core. I've received hundreds and hundreds of comments just like these:

"I have never paid attention to a training class like I did yours - you made it so interesting."
"You are the best trainer I have ever had!"
"Truly amazing, I have no feedback for how you can improve."
"Normally, training class is something we all dread but we all were coming in early and staying after asking questions in your class."

Did you catch that? I said it shocks me to the core to hear comments like those. You'd think it would make me feel special, but I'm not that special...I'm just in an industry that as a whole needs a radical change.

It seems the general approach to training is apathy and America is falling WAY behind in the workplace. Why do so many companies, myriads of companies, accept mediocrity from employees? I'm confident we can right the ship but it will take a do-over. It is time for instructors and learners alike to get on board with a new plan for corporate training.

Stop rushing things. Start over.

Forget everything we thought we knew and focus on only one thing -- the learner. It's not about us.

It's time we change the game in training -- we need to do it for the learner.

I plan to change the game by focusing on Training 2.0 and separating the learner from the traditional handcuffs of training like a classroom, a computer, 3-ring binders...

3 comments:

jasonbbailey said...

Wow. I could not agree more! As I read your blog I kept thinking to myself...yes...YES...SO true!

As a trainer myself I have seen and experienced much of the same. Learning in the workplace has become, well, I'll use a quote from one of the best trainers I have ever met, "It is what it is." And I feel it all starts with the word "Training" or "Trainer". What do you do? I train people. OK, wow, amazing...ugh.

Personally, I also write a blog focusing specifically on "Training 2.0". Reading your blog got me thinking about SO many different ways we can change the game--from using newer Web 2.0 methods like podcasting and blogging, to doing something completely unexpected with your audience...something that should not BE unexpected!

So, I totally agree. As long as we are accepting this mediocrity, company's will continue to focus on the "cost" of training rather than the "value".

We're down 42 to nothing...let's change the game!

This was a great post. Thanks for writing.

Janice said...

I think that your approach to training is very refreshing. Keeping you audience grasping for more rather than getting finished with the class and pushing you out the door. Your completely on target with putting the learner in the spot light. I think that with more trainers like yourself you'll add new light to the industry. Adding variety, excellent!

Juicing for Health said...

Amen! It is always shocking to me that participants think I do anything special in my class because they found it interesting and they learned.

Isn't that what is supposed to happen?? If trainers paid more attention to the students' ability to learn, training might be received in a more positive light!